About Our Church
St Mary’s is a small parish church which is Grade 1 listed with parts of the building dating back to the 11th century. Here you will find beautiful wall paintings, tomb effigies and an obvious love shown by how the building is kept; it is easy to imagine well over 900 years of prayers being soaked up in the fabric of the building.
The church was built at different times between 1100 and 1500, the oldest part being the Norman North wall of the nave. The nave was extended in the fourteenth century to create a chantry chapel for the Filliol family and the present chancel and tower were built at the same time.
The porch was added in about 1400 and the tower was adapted for bells at around the same time. St. Mary’s, the tenor bell, is one of the oldest in the diocese and by 1925 there was a ring of five bells. This number was increased to eight in 1986 and the bells are still rung on Sundays and special occasions.
The rood loft staircase and the priest’s door in the chancel, now plastered up, were built in about 1420.